Keeping correct guage

Kathy Schor

Question

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  And we both have the same 'problem', I make short stitches as well.  A well known designer Doris Chan had a blog entry about this https://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/  We are yankers I'm afraid.

I make a lot of doilies (center-out, in the round) where stitch height tension matching the designer's is a must or you'll get cupping (too tall or too few stitches) or ruffling (too many or too short stitches).  I do a  lot of tweaking, for ruffling I solve the problem by either removing stitches or subbing taller ones (like extended DCs or trebles for DCs for example); and fortunately some degree of ruffling can be blocked into submission.  For cupping I mostly try to add stitches, usually chains.  

However for most other things, I usually just add more rows if necessary - it helps if you are making a garment for yourself you can try it on or compare it to a comparable garment that is the right length. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  And we both have the same 'problem', I make short stitches as well.  A well known designer Doris Chan had a blog entry about this https://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/  We are yankers I'm afraid.

I make a lot of doilies (center-out, in the round) where stitch height tension matching the designer's is a must or you'll get cupping (too tall or too few stitches) or ruffling (too many or too short stitches).  I do a  lot of tweaking, for ruffling I solve the problem by either removing stitches or subbing taller ones (like extended DCs or trebles for DCs for example); and fortunately some degree of ruffling can be blocked into submission.  For cupping I mostly try to add stitches, usually chains.  

However for most other things, I usually just add more rows if necessary - it helps if you are making a garment for yourself you can try it on or compare it to a comparable garment that is the right length. 

I always learn something myself from you Granny Square.  I saved this website to share with my crochet students.  Best info ever.

The late designer Jean Leinhauser was a member of this forum, and she would often describe this issue here and how to 'fix' it by describing the 'golden loop' that you pulled up to make a stitch, and how to control your stitch height by controlling the golden loop.  I tried to do this, but my fingers could never get the hang of ditching their old bad habits.

• Like 1