What do you do at the end of a row with front/back loop crochet

Dolly Elliott

Question

I cannot for the life of me find this answer anywhere.  Maybe I'm the only person that does not understand.  I know how to crochet in the front or back loop, no problem.  But what do you do when you are at the end of a row, working into the last stitch, let's say a dc chain?  Working into that last stitch, the chain, do I pick up the stitch by the front loop (if I'm working a front loop DC) or do I pick up both loops?  By both loops, I mean the front loop and the back bar? I hope I'm clear enough here.  Thanking you in advance for your help.

Edited by Dolly Elliott
More info

10 answers to this question

Hi Dolly, you can make stitches into the back loop of a chain, in fact that's how I learned to work into a foundation chain back in the dark ages; it's also how the old crochet books that I've seen from the 1840s tell you to it (no I'm not quite that old to have learned from them when the books were new!)

I know of 3 ways to work into a chain: (1) into the back bump (which I don't care for, it also does not work with everything), (2) with the chain facing you, into the top loop (which would be the back loop, technically, as described in my first paragraph), or (3) under the top loop and the back bump.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

in fact that's how I learned to work into a foundation chain back in the dark ages; it's also how the old crochet books that I've seen from the 1840s tell you to it (no I'm not quite that old to have learned from them when the books were new!

Granny Square, you make me smile. lol.  I often refer to myself as "from the dinosaur era of crochet."So your dark ages comment struck me as funny.

8 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Modern definition of the dark ages = before home computers & the internet mesmerized us with their blue light, I suppose :wink 

I can vouch for that.  I started my pharmacy career with typing out labels with a typewriter and storing written prescriptions on a roladex. That was back in the day of rotary dial phones! Oh, the good old days. lol

Yep, sounds very familiar; I used a rolodex at work, but not a typewriter (although I used a typewriter plenty in college).  

I still have a rotary phone (and a land line), because rotary phones work when the electricity goes out (while our 'push button' land line phones do not), and power outages affect cell towers. We have cell phones where you pay for a plan that covers a fixed period of time and a certain # of minutes, that we carry for emergencies when away from home, but seldom use (we don't give out those numbers).

When my husband retired we moved to another state, but I kept working remotely for several years.  Everything I did required the internet in part, and electricity for everything .  At one point I had to use our rotary phone to let my boss know I was 'stuck' when my electricity went out for hours, so my push button land line phones didn't work, nor did I have cell service or internet.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Yep, sounds very familiar; I used a rolodex at work, but not a typewriter (although I used a typewriter plenty in college).  

I still have a rotary phone (and a land line), because rotary phones work when the electricity goes out (while our 'push button' land line phones do not), and power outages affect cell towers. We have cell phones where you pay for a plan that covers a fixed period of time and a certain # of minutes, that we carry for emergencies when away from home, but seldom use (we don't give out those numbers).

When my husband retired we moved to another state, but I kept working remotely for several years.  Everything I did required the internet in part, and electricity for everything .  At one point I had to use our rotary phone to let my boss know I was 'stuck' when my electricity went out for hours, so my push button land line phones didn't work, nor did I have cell service or internet.  

lol, kindred spirits.

Edited by Lacycrochet

On 2/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, Granny Square said:

Hi Dolly, you can make stitches into the back loop of a chain, in fact that's how I learned to work into a foundation chain back in the dark ages; it's also how the old crochet books that I've seen from the 1840s tell you to it (no I'm not quite that old to have learned from them when the books were new!)

I know of 3 ways to work into a chain: (1) into the back bump (which I don't care for, it also does not work with everything), (2) with the chain facing you, into the top loop (which would be the back loop, technically, as described in my first paragraph), or (3) under the top loop and the back bump.

Thank you so much!

I typically just do a regular stitch (SC or DC or whatever your stitch is) in the turning chain (or first and last stitch of the row). I especially do this if my finished piece will not have a border because I feel like it looks tidier but that is a personal preference. To answer your question, you can do a front or back loop only stitch into a chain.

When working into the last stitch of a chain, you should pick up the front loop only. This is true for both a front loop double crochet (DC) and any other stitch. The back bar of the stitch should not be worked into. 

When working a front loop DC, you will insert your hook into the front loop of the stitch, yarn over, and pull up a loop. Then, yarn over and pull through both loops on the hook to complete the stitch. 

When working any other stitch, you will insert your hook into the front loop of the stitch, yarn over, and pull up a loop. Then, complete the stitch as you normally would. 

It is important to note that when working into the last stitch of a chain, you should not work into the back bar of the stitch. Doing so can cause the chain to become distorted and can affect the overall look of your project. 

I hope this helps!