Thread Crochet: Where to start?

You'll want to invest in good hooks. Clover Soft Touch Steel hooks are the best! They prevent fatigue when working with size 20 or less. You can get them through Lone Star Yarns.

It's hard to say what to start for a first project because doilies that look difficult can turn out to be easy. You might want to start with small doilies that you can work quickly and easily. Stargazer's list has a bunch to start off with. There is the book 101 Small Doilies, too. A small doily I think is considered anything 7 inches or less in diameter.

Though now I work with more expensive threads like Steinbach Wolle, DMC, et al, you can begin with the cheaper stuff and then progress to finer threads. Just know that the cheaper thread tends to split more and frays compared to the fancier stuff.

I'll be looking foward to seeing your first thread project!

I would recommend working on a bookmark or similar project as your first project. Most are simple and small enough that you won't get discouraged. If you think you are serious about wanting to do thread crochet, then I would suggest investing in a "set" of hooks, it is generally cheaper in the long run that way. If you just want to try it out, I would recommend any hook size from 0-5 for #10 crochet cotton. I would find a pattern that you like and buy the hook size recommended. Also with a bookmark, guage isn't going to be that critical.

Archived