Pattern Help

Nora L.

Question

Hi. I’m working on an “adult slouchy hat.”  In 1st round I cast on 13sc in a magic ring, then joined with ss. In 2nd round I ch2, 2 hdc in each st around, then joined with ss. I now have 26 sts.  The 3rd row is what I can’t figure out. When I finish the row I only have 36 sts but I’m supposed to have 39 sts. 
here is what it says to do: 

ch2, (hdc in the next st, 2 hdc in the next st) x 13 times, ss in the first hdc to join. 

Can someone help me so that I end up with 39 sts and move on ? 

Thanks a million,

Nora L.

1 answer to this question

Deep breath.  This is a classic way to start a center out circle; it might help if I explain what is going on in general, to make it less abstract and easier for you to spot if you go off course.

The recipe to make a flat circle is to start with a number of stitches in the first round, (your number is 13), and increase by that number each round.  You do that by adding a 'plain' stitch between the increases in each round.  Your pattern is going to make a small hole in the center because you are starting with 13.

First round =13 sts

Second row, make 2 stitches into each stitch (it is a good idea to mark the first stitch in the round if you are working in a spiral, so you don't get lost).  This doubles the number, right? so 13 x 2 = 26

Third row is to make 2 stitches into 1 stitch, 1 stitch in the next 1 stitch;  in other words, for every 2 stitches in the 2nd row, you now have 3; this adds 13 stitches, 26+13=39.

Fourth row -  make 2 stitches into 1 stitch, 1 stitch in the next 2 stitches;  in other words, for every 3 stitches in the 3rd row, you now have 4; this adds 13 stitches, 26+13=39.

Presumably in the fifth row, you'll put 2 stitches into 1 stitch, 1 stitch in the next 3 stitches, and end up with 39+13 = 52 stitches.  See the pattern forming?  This won't go on forever as at some point you will 'work even' (stop increasing), or maybe gradually change the rate of increases before that point, but if you increase the number of 'plain' stitches between increases in each subsequent round in this scheme I've outlined, you'll keep increasing by 13.