Baby swirls hat

hapahaolegirl

Question

I don't understand what crochet the last two chains together means. How do I do that? Also it seems like this hat is not worked in a round so I don't understand how it comes together to look like a hat. I thought I'd make these for charity if I can just figure out what it means!

Here's the link to the hat:

http://www.geocities.com/crochethut/babyswirls.html

row 1. ch 30, 2 sc in second chain from hook, crochet

one single crochet in each stitch across, to last 2

chains. crochet the last 2 chains together.

29 sc.

row 2. single crochet first 2 stitches together, crochet one

single crochet in each stitch across to last stitch,

2 single crochet in last stitch ch 1, and turn 29sc.

row 3. 2 single crochet in first stitch, crochet one single

crochet in each stitch across to last 2 stitches, single

crochet last 2 stitches together ch1, turn 29sc

repeat rows 2-3 for a total of 37 rows

cutting yarn, leaving a length to gather one edge and then down siding, tie off.

for trimming around the hat bottom, you can do most designs of your choice. I did 2 rounds of single crochet. then fastened off.

5 answers to this question

Those directions are not very clear. It sounds like you crochet back and forth and not in a round. You will end up with a rectangle. When you cut the yarn, make the string long enough to do the final stitching. Use the string to gather the last row you made. That will be the closed (top) part of the hat. Then continue using the string to stitch the 2 sides together. That will make the back seam. That's how the pattern reads to me. I might be wrong.

Hmm, I don't like seems too much since I'm not good at making them look pretty yet. I love the ribbed look of the hat though, it's different from the usual baby hats I see. Maybe I'll have to go looking around for a different pattern that works in rounds.

Thank you for your help!

Kristen

Hmm, I don't like seems too much since I'm not good at making them look pretty yet. I love the ribbed look of the hat though, it's different from the usual baby hats I see. Maybe I'll have to go looking around for a different pattern that works in rounds.

Thank you for your help!

Kristen

Unfortunately, a pattern worked in rounds isn't going to give you that nice ribbed effect, since back-loop-only stitches in the round will just create tiny raised lines, not actual ribbing.

This pattern is interesting, and after a little deciphering, not all that hard. And actually, the "crochet the last two chains together" *is* a decrease, like Pam had originally suspected.

What I believe the author is having you do in row 1 is this: Increase, sc across, decrease.

In row two, it is the opposite: first you decrease, then work across, then increase.

Then row 3 is like row 1 again: increase, work even across, decrease.

[Not sure of this is TMI, but an increase is 2 sc worked in the same st. a decrease is one sc worked over 2 st, and is executed like this: Insert hook in stitch, draw up a loop. Insert hook in next stitch, draw up a loop. You will now have three loops on your hook - yo and draw thru all 3]

After you have made this panel, you'll then turn it into a hat. I like to sew up the side seams first. I prefer to use a needle and whipstitch the sides together, but if you don't like seaming you can also just sc the sides together.

After you do this, you'll have a tube. What you do next is run a length of yarn around the whole circumference of one end of the tube, then pull it tight, like a drawstring. This will gather up the top, finally creating the hat shape. Fasten off the "drawstring" tightly, so it doesn't come loose and screw up your hat.

Lastly, flip your hat right side out, so the seam and gathering is all hiding on the inside and you have a cute little FO.

I really HTH, this is such a cute hat and I'd love to see what yours turns out like.

Archived