Poncho

Paulett

Question

3 answers to this question

Can't you just attach the yarn where you left off and add 4"?  Length usually describes the # of rows, not the # of stitches across.

Or, do you need to add to the sides of the stitches?  I'd personally remake that panel, because any other solution is going to look 'not right'.  It is not impossible to do this, by reattaching the yarn on the side, making a chain, and working away from the fabric, turning, and working back and attaching to the fabric, turning, working back out, and so on...but it is not going to look the same as the first panel with some of the stitches going north/south and others going east/west, EXPECIALLY if it is not also happening on the other panel.

Sorry...so many posts here say something like "I've done too much work to rip it out", but there is no such thing, or very rarely such thing.  Most errors like this need ripping or re-doing if you want it to look right.  

• Like 1

Something else occurred to me that might work (if you mean width not length); you could try it with a 4" wide swatch, and if it looks OK to you, just keep going with the swatch.  There is a seam technique that is pretty much invisible called the mattress stitch, that works using the thickness attribute of crochet stitches (also works with knit).   Tou butt 2 pieces of crochet fabric together side by side, and with needle and matching yarn, make a stitch into the side of 1 stitch, then into the side of the other, and continue up the seam.  A lot of tutorials show this being done in a contrasting color, when you pull the team tight you can't see the yarn used to make the seam at all.  (Obviously you'd want it to match at least 1 of the sides).

So, you'd make a piece 4" wide and however long, and butt it against the side and sew it up - you will want to make sure the same side of the stitches line up (the stitches look different front and back, so if you line up a front side in the same row as a back side, it will be obvious if you don't).

Here is a video tutorial, I didn't watch it but I have a few of her books, so I'm sure it will be clear.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Something else occurred to me that might work (if you mean width not length); you could try it with a 4" wide swatch, and if it looks OK to you, just keep going with the swatch.  There is a seam technique that is pretty much invisible called the mattress stitch, that works using the thickness attribute of crochet stitches (also works with knit).   Tou butt 2 pieces of crochet fabric together side by side, and with needle and matching yarn, make a stitch into the side of 1 stitch, then into the side of the other, and continue up the seam.  A lot of tutorials show this being done in a contrasting color, when you pull the team tight you can't see the yarn used to make the seam at all.  (Obviously you'd want it to match at least 1 of the sides).

So, you'd make a piece 4" wide and however long, and butt it against the side and sew it up - you will want to make sure the same side of the stitches line up (the stitches look different front and back, so if you line up a front side in the same row as a back side, it will be obvious if you don't).

Here is a video tutorial, I didn't watch it but I have a few of her books, so I'm sure it will be clear.

I ripped it out, you are correct since I am so inexperienced my correction would look terrible so I’m starting over. Thank you for making me realize that.