Help needed with Surface Crochet

Loretta az

Question

Lovely free "Simple 10-Petal Afghan Square by Joyce D. Lewis. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/simple-10-petal-afghan-square

All went well until the end directions. 

"sc on the post of the marked beginning chain"  I did mark it by even trying to do a single crochet it looks all lumpy bumpy... then

"fpsc around dc at base of chain, rotate the block and work 5 sc up the post of next tr..." I actually know what that means but it I'm totally not doing it right.  It looks like I'm just tying various knots around the tr.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

loretta

2 answers to this question

Interesting pattern.  So in the top pattern photo, it's the pink flower in the middle, with the raised stitches with the stitch tops facing the front of the fabric?

I'm not sure what "on the post of a chain" means.  There are 3 ways to work into a chain (that I've run into): into the back bump; with the chain facing you, in the top loop only; with the top facing you, around the top loop and the back bump.  Plus, you can also work around a chain (stick your hook under the chain and form the stitch around the chain).

However, I think I "unvented' what looks like the pink part of the flower in the top photo on the Rav page once (not taking credit for it, I'm sure this has been 'unvented' many times before.  I made a doily with heart shapes, and after the fact I decided it would look nice if alternating hearts on the all-white border had red outlines.  I more or less turned the doily 'on edge' and chose loops on the DC edge stitches (and turning chains) of the heart to work SCs evenly around the hears around those loops, so the tops of the SCs face 'up' in the photo, like in your pattern photo.  So in your case, you have it a little easier than I did working stitches into the bodies of DCs, because you have fewer loops to pick from using chains, and it would be easier to be consistent.

Photo below - eek, sorry so big.

Rows of Hearts Doily.JPG

• Like 1