Trying to make a cardigan for a toddler

MandyMor

Question

I found a pattern that I liked, but turned out a lot bigger than I thought it would, and I'm trying to make it as a cardigan for my toddler.....do you have any idea how I could do this?

I almost had it finished, but I messed up on the chest it poofed out and some how the back end wasn't as wide. 

The boarder is originally 44x44 stitches...idk the measurements, my measuring tape walked away for the time being.  I tried to alter it to a patter saying it needed to be 68x32 stitches.  If you could help that would be awesome.

or if you know how to work this into a jacket some how....I'm all ears lol1668229460372627549290655158451.thumb.jpg.ea76794d0f7caade92e76f9cd3ca3fe4.jpg

3 answers to this question

Pretty motif!

OK, I know you know this, but you are going to need a measuring tape if you are going to make a garment: to measure the item and the intended wearer. 

The number of stitches is irrelevant, everyone had a different stitch tension even using the same yarn and hook size.  You might get away with using an existing garment as a template.  Or if you have a yardstick, measure with a length of yarn and mark the measurement with a paperclip or something, then measure that with the yardstick.

The best way to go about this is to find a pattern that gives a schematic (a drawing of the outline with the measurements), and probably try to fit in a border around your square.  The worst case might have you sewing in the square as part of the back if the stitch gauge/count is different.

Example, this cardigan on the Yarnspiration site is for child sizes 2-8 and has a diagram with dimensions.

• Like 1

I should have looked closer, the back is not a rectangle, it is indented for a set-in sleeve, but the sleeve could be attached without 'setting it in', in other words drop shoulder so you could make the back without the indent; you may have to adjust the sleeve length (see, you're going to need that tape measure...)

• Like 1