Pattern isn't adding up!!

Jinks

Question

I'm trying to make dmc crochet boys hoodie by Hilary Mackin. 

Sleeves need to be 29cm with 36 st (according to pattern), fronts appear too short (I've followed the pattern to the letter throughout!) And the only piece that looks reasonable is the back!! 

Anyone else struggling to make sense of this pattern and had any joy?

I've added pictures

16678396552163014417872080074384.jpg

16678396814067374887415885504264.jpg

1667839727899217344011017589061.jpg

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  

The back says to work to a specific measurement depending on the size you are making.  The front says to work within 7 or 8 rows of the back depending on the size, and then tells you how to deal with those 7 or 8 rows to shape the neck.  So the pattern is telling you to make the front and back the same # of rows for both shoulder down, so both should be the same length.

Whether the measurement of your item matches the pattern's end measurement for the size you are making depends on whether you did a gauge swatch before you started and exactly matched the stitch height gauge of the designer; and if you didn't, to switch hooks and re-swatch until you did.  Designers and makers can have wildly different stitch gauges, as I've found out after decades of crocheting!  Usually I try to hit width gauge for a garment and add or subtract rows to get the length I want.

• Like 1

I think the thing that's annoying me the most is the rows and stitches do not add up regardless of what the swatch and tension say. I can always adapt the fronts by carrying on from where its ended, but I can't do that with the sleeves. I've had to undo the sleeve and re calculate to make the right amount of end stitches. 

27 rows = 29cm. Starting with 27 sts to increase to 36 sts means I need to increase a stitch every 3 rows. Where as the pattern says increase by a st every 6 rows... or have I read the pattern wrong? That's where I need the help.

Sorry,  I was focusing on what you said about the fronts being to short and overlooked the sleeves.

The first row of the sleeve has 27 stitches across for the largest size, and the pattern says we need to increase to 36 stitches across, and do this by increasing 1 at each end of every 6th row; rows 1-5 in the repeat cycle have no increases.  So make 5 rows even, increase 2 (1 at each end) in the 6th row, repeat.  I usually put a stitch marker at the end of each increase row just to help me keep track.  

What doesn't add up, is if you add 2 stitches to an odd number, you get an odd number.  So something IS off, because at the end of row 1&2 you have 27 stitches, then increasing at each 6th row at both ends  would be 29, 31, 33, 35 not 36.  So you'd have to make a decision to live with that, or tweak 1 stitch somewhere.  (double check my math).  

You said 27 rows = 29 cm.  So 1 row is 1.074 cm., x 35 rows would be 37.59 cm.  How does that measure up to your son's sleeve size?  When I knit or crochet a sweater for myself, I match it up to an existing, well fitting sweater (edit, of mine) as I go to make sure I'm on track for fit.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

I thought it wasn't adding up!! We've came to the same conclusion 😂😂

It's for my nephew (my son died April last year because he was born 27 weeks early) who is 1 and a half in size 2-3 Yr old clothing, he's tall like his dad 😂😂 so I was making up the biggest size possible so he had a few winters out of it. Last hoodie I made him he was only in it for 2 weeks at 3 months old and i made 6-9 months size thinking he'd get up to Christmas 🤣🤣

Don't worry about it. We can't change what happened so there's no use mulling over it. We were there until the end and that's all that matters 🥰🥰

That's why I've gone for maximum size 😂😂 I'll measure up his arm and compare it to his back and work out how long his arms might be for this size. That was a very helpful tip so thank you x

• Like 1