Bartrip

BArtrip

Question

Ok, so I just started a new pattern in the round and I'm already stuck! Rnd one is 6 SC in magic ring.(6) Rnd 2 says [1sc in color A, 1sc in color B]*6  (12) color eye is red color b is white. I'm trying to figure out where I change my color, do I work the first single crochet color a and then do my color change or do I work half of the color A and then do my color change? Then on the continuing rounds you are doing split single crochets in the round but they're very hard to see to get into? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

3 answers to this question

To change color in a normal SC stitch, the recommended way (for the best appearance) is to work the current stitch up to the last yarn over and pull thru of the old color, drop the old color, pick up the new and pull a loop thru the current stitch to finish it.  Then work a stitch in the new color up to the same point, drop the old color, and finish this new stitch in the old color.  And so on.  

The reason for  this is that the top of a crochet stitch doesn't sit directly on top of a stitch (like a knit stitch does), it's off to the side a little, so this makes the color change look like it's lined up with the stitch it will match.

I have to admit that since I also knit, I've not done a split single crochet project, (aka waistcoat stitch; the point is to get 'knit look fabric') and I'm fairly certain what I said above does not apply to this stitch, because you are not working into the offset stitch tops.  I would think that it would work like knit, where you finish 1 stitch in color A, drop color A and pick up color B and make the next stitch.

I hope this tutorial helps, shows you in closeup where to insert the hook.

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2022 at 1:58 PM, Granny Square said:

To change color in a normal SC stitch, the recommended way (for the best appearance) is to work the current stitch up to the last yarn over and pull thru of the old color, drop the old color, pick up the new and pull a loop thru the current stitch to finish it.  Then work a stitch in the new color up to the same point, drop the old color, and finish this new stitch in the old color.  And so on.  

The reason for  this is that the top of a crochet stitch doesn't sit directly on top of a stitch (like a knit stitch does), it's off to the side a little, so this makes the color change look like it's lined up with the stitch it will match.

I have to admit that since I also knit, I've not done a split single crochet project, (aka waistcoat stitch; the point is to get 'knit look fabric') and I'm fairly certain what I said above does not apply to this stitch, because you are not working into the offset stitch tops.  I would think that it would work like knit, where you finish 1 stitch in color A, drop color A and pick up color B and make the next stitch.

I hope this tutorial helps, shows you in closeup where to insert the hook.