Crochet beani

Stefani

Question

I am crocheting a beanie and I don’t understand on of the rounds 

ch 3, [dc , ch 1, 2 dc] in same sp, *2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc* In each ch-1 sp around, join with sl st to ch3. I don’t understand * 2dc, ch 1, 2dc* how am I supposed to do it on the ch-1 do I turn and do it ? I need help

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

You can work an astonishing amount of stitches into 1 stitch (I've done close to 20 max IIRC).  Altho in this case, you are not working INTO a stitch as usual.

When you encounter a chain space in a pattern where you make stitches 'into' the chain space, you actually (typically, 99.9% of the time) work the stitches around the chain.  You stick the hook under the chain, the same as you would stick the hook under the top 2 loops under a stitch, and complete the stitch or stitches.

Edited to add, typically a crochet beanie is made top down, same side facing, and you don't turn your work.  Most hats are made in a spiral and not turned, however rounds CAN be made by turning, or in a not-spiral same side facing where you end a round and chain up for the next round without turning, but a well-written pattern would TELL you to turn if it meant you to do so.  And a turn is unusual in the middle of a row or round--not impossible, but unlikely on a hat.  

Edited by Granny Square