What does "Work x Rows as Set/Straight" mean?

emma1994

Question

Hi there! I'm fairly new to Crochet and have been able to figure most things out but I'm stuck on this pattern, and Google hasn't been as helpful as I'm use to! 

Please see the screenshot attached, I just can't get my head around what the "Work" instruction means. And what the difference between "as set" and "straight" would be. 

Thank you for any help! :)

Screenshot_20221030-200542_OneDrive.jpg

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  Your pattern at the very beginning probably said something like "pattern written in size extra small: info for sizes small, medium, large, extra large are given in parentheses"

So every time there is an instruction that has different information by size, there will be an instruction for number of stitches, number of pattern repeats, whatever it tells you, for ALL sizes.  If the size you are working has no action at that point, it will say '0'.  For the 2 areas you marked, only the largest size has an action, if you are working one of the smaller sizes you ignore the instruction if there is a 0.

• Thanks 1

I just realized I didn't entirely answer your question.  "Work as set" I am GUESSING means 'the same as row 2' in your first highlighted spot.

I am going to guess that 'straight' in this case means 'without increasing, but keeping the same stitch pattern as you have been doing' in the 2 areas it appears.

Edited to add, take a look at the pattern photo, many times when I have run across an instruction that could be interpreted different ways, looking at the photo to see what the fabric looks like in that spot clears up what was meant.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1