Newbie sock/bootie pattern

Hove131

Question

I just started crocheting after not having touched a needle in over 30 years. I am looking for a beginner friendly pattern and also a guid or guidance on sizing.  Figuring out how to fit for different sizes has been my biggest problem. 

1 answer to this question

Here is a list of free bootie and sock patterns listed on Ravelry that members ranked as 'easy'.  This is a 'reference database', in other words not all patterns are actually hosted there.  You have to join to access patterns that are hosted there, but joining is free.  Other patterns are links to blogs or elsewhere on the internet, but many are references to patterns in books or magazines where you need to find the source document yourself.

Fitting/designing for sizing is not a simple thing, your best bet is finding patterns that give multiple sizes, and have schematics with dimensions--a lot of the patterns from yarn companies have this.  This site is a gold mine of information for pattern writing standards, yarn and needle sizes, pattern writing conventions, and also has a section on 'Standard measurements/sizing'--see menu on the right side.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1