Sl st behind petal

Hooked by Bev

Question

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  Is this a free pattern you can link to, or if it's not free could you link to a pic of the item?  It sounds you are making an Irish Rose or something very similar, so I'm going to describe the steps you'll need to take assuming that construction.  Irish Roses are made by making a round center (often looking like a wagon wheel), then making petals around the wheel between the 'spokes', then working BEHIND those petals making a chain behind each petal, then making petals behind the first set of petals, over the chains you made. So, a  round of chains, a round of petals over the chains, repeat for however many rounds of petals.

Your pattern is intriguing me because classic Irish Roses (that I've encountered) stack the petals on top of each other, which is 'easier' to make but unnatural looking.  YOUR pattern sounds like it is offsetting each round of petals to be more natural looking--I don't make a LOT of Irish Roses, but when I do I stagger the petals, probably not in the most elegant way but it works, and the inelegant part is on the back side and doesn't show.

You have already made 1 round of petals.  The next step is to make a base (comprised of chain loops) to make the next round of petals into (not literally into, you'll be working the petals around the chain).  

What I am interpreting the 'center back of the next petal' to be, is the center back stitch's 'bottom', which is the 'inelegant' way I stagger petals.  So, the part of the petal that I'm guessing was formed around a chain.

Does that make sense?

Edited by Granny Square

I found an Irish Rose-like pattern that has staggered petals, here .  See round 5, where it says to fold the petal forward, and slip stitch across the back side of the base of the existing petal to it's center point, and then chain 3, then slip stitch into [the back side of the base of] the stitch in the next petal?

That is saying, more clearly and with more detail than I did, what I meant by staggering the chain loops forming the base for the next round of petals.