Need help understanding a pattern.

Crissy20

Question

I am creating a pocket shawl and I am not understanding row 10. Thank you in advance for your help!

Row 10: Ch1, *hdc into ch1 sp, hdc into top of hdc in the previous row*.  Repeat between * and * to the end.  Hdc into the space created by the ch3 turning chain from the previous row. Turn work. (140 st)

1 answer to this question

A chain 1 space is a chain 1 between 2 stitches in the prior row. To work 'into' a chain 1 stitch, you typically work around it by putting the hook in the hole under the chain, yarn over, and complete the stitch, in this case a HDC.  Edited because I overlooked the next part, after you work the hdc aound the chain, you work another hdc in the following hdc in the row below.

Then 'sort of' the same thing at the end, you stick the hook under the ch3 turning chain and make a HDC around the chain.

I won't say 'never', but except for foundation chains, you rarely actually stitch into a chain, but rather stitch around it as I described.  And, it could also have said to HDC a number greater than 1 into a ch 1 space.

Edited by Granny Square