Lamps to crochet by?

lakota85usa

My mom has expressed interest in a lamp to help her see better when crocheting. An everyday lamp doesn't do what it use to years ago so crocheting at night has become difficult for her. Hmmmmm come to think of it, my eyes aren't what they use to be either. LOL So I thought it would make a perfect Christmas gift for her.

Does anyone here use one and do they make table models and/or both table and floor models? What are the brands and where do you get them?

I would like to hear everyones thoughts and preferences.

Thank you for any help.

Pam

I use natural light bulbs that most craft shops in the UK sell. As for floor vs table lamp, I guess it depends on if you usually crochet in the same chair. I move around the house with mine so I have two lamps with the special bulbs in. Both sit just behind, and slightly above me. (One is a floor lamp, the other a normal table lamp which I removed the shade from.)

One thing to think about is space. A floor lamp isn't always a good idea if a person has mobility problems, or young children running around..but then what is? lol

Hope this helps.

I have an OTT Lite that I like. It's the floor lamp, but I think they make a table lamp as well. I use a natural bulb in my regular bedside lamp for when I crochet in bed. Otherwise in the evening at least I always sit in the same chair so the floor lamp works well for me. I've been very pleased with it. I think Joann's puts them on sale now and again. Hope this helps :)

I asked for a "natural light" lamp from Sharper Image last xmas. I think it was around $75?? for the table top. They also had a floor version. I got a much more portable natural light instead. It folds up into a long black rectangle when not in use and opens to stand up, or it can lay on its side, or I can even tuck it behind my back so the light shines over my shoulder which is less distressing to my eyes. I didn't buy this, so I don't know where it came from, but I'd say you could probably find something similar at any department store. I'm sure this one wasn't more than $30. I also got some Reveal bulbs. The side of the box said I'd look younger in that light than with regular bulbs:tired , so I put those in the bathroom instead of using them for crocheting (not that I don't crochet in the bathroom:lol ). :laughroll

Guest Crafterlady46
Thanks everyone for the insight to the lights. I'll have to check out online and see where I might come up with one or try the Reveal light bulb.

Pam

Hi Pam, I have terrible sight and need good lighting. I use the lamp I have posted. I don't know what it is called. I use one of the 100 watt weird bulbs that save money. I have another lamp with a big magnifier on it for embroidery and quilting. Works great.

light.jpglight2.jpg

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/priscilla/light.jpg

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/priscilla/light2.jpg

Please dont mind my messy house. It's early and I haven't done the housework yet. Just incase anyone is wondering about the light on the chimney it is a gas light incase the power goes out. We run mostly gas for that reason. Maine gets terrible weather sometimes and our electric co. is not too swift sometimes.

Hi Pam, I have terrible sight and need good lighting. I use the lamp I have posted. I don't know what it is called. I use one of the 100 watt weird bulbs that save money. I have another lamp with a big magnifier on it for embroidery and quilting. Works great.

Please dont mind my messy house. It's early and I haven't done the housework yet.

Priscilla,

Thanks for the photos. I've seen those light bulbs before. It might be "my" way of going to brightness. Get a floorlamp and insert bulb. I have them in my kitchen and bathroom so I don't have to climb up every year to change them. LOL. I may look at JoAnn's or Michael's this weekend if I decide to brave the mall for mom's lamp. She definitely wants a table version.

Oh, your house is a lot cleaner than mine. I've been on strike that past couple weeks. :devil

Thanks again for the insight with lighting.

Pam

P.S. Love what you have done with your website. It's fantastic.:cheer

As Dextersmom mentioned, OTTs are very good. I have used many kinds of lights and I have found that not only is it important to use the right "kind" of light, but the "placement" of the light is crucial as well. I can't stand to knit or crochet at night if the light comes from behind me and I cast my shadow over my work (especially with dark colors). I recently purchased a very inexpensive floor lamp ($12 at Target or Wal-Mart, can't remember which). It is a torchiere with a 3-way bulb at the top with another lamp on a "bendy thingy" midway down. It is right next to my chair and I usually end up having the top on the lowest light level, and then I can position the other lamp exactly where I want it (and face it, I don't always want my light to be in the same spot, do you?).

Hi, I have an Ott table top lite in the family room and a floor lamp in my bedroom that is similar to Ott but is an "off" brand so it didn't cost as much and it works just as well!! I have info at home about it. I am at work. I ordered it online and have had it for 3-4 years. The Ott lite came from Joann's. I think the Ott light has recently come down in price when there is a sale. Jody:)

I got a floor lamp at IKEA for 20 bucks last spring that has a standard torchiere light with a standard bulb pointing at the ceiling and a gooseneck-type light angling from it about four feet up. I have it next to my easy chair and it's great being able to aim it right on my work, especially these days when it get dark so early. It has a special bulb that IKEA sells for a couple bucks. I don't think it's a natural light but it's nice and bright and has helped me out many times already.

The only potential drawback is that each light has its own cord, so you need to have two free outlets nearby. Sometimes they're hard to come by. :P

Archived