Amigurumi help. PLEASE!!

Stidds

Question

I had help to get started with a Taz that I was making. That help was invaluable. I have nearly finished him (yay)! However, I am really stuck with the instructions for his legs.  After having done the foundation rnd, row 1 and 2, ok, rnd 1 confused me, but I thought give it a go. Rnd 2 ok. Row 1 ok. But now row 2?????? It's a leg but it seems to be flat!

Being daft I know and missing something really basic, but.......

I have attached an image of the pattern and it's the leg I'm trying to figure out.

IMG_20220903_150807.jpg

5 answers to this question

At the top of the second column, it says 'begin working in rounds'.  Row 1 is 13 sc in a row and says not to join.

Row 2 says to join at the end, without using the word 'join'.  "SC in each stitch around, slip stitch in next SC'

Then it says, in another highlighted section below row 2, that you will be working in rows again.

It's a good idea to read the pattern all the way thru before picking up your hook, to make sure you understand how it is constructed, especially on something with complex shaping like a toy.  I haven't read ahead, but I'm sure there is a reason that it is switching between rows and rounds--possibly as a means to continue the legs to the body, working 'in the other direction' that the legs were (legs crotch down, body crotch up).  

I got that, but then for the rest of the pattern, it's working in rows but the instructions don't seem to make sense .... As in on the second instruction to work in rows, row 2:ch 1, turn; skip first slip at, (SC in next sc, 2 SC in next sc) 3 times,  - I get all that. But what I don't get is the next bit, slip st in same sc on Rnd 2 as next slip st: 10 STS, what on earth do they mean? Does it mean that the slip st  to join the row is in the row 2 below? Difficult, to explain, I know, but are the words 'as next slip st' unnecessary? Because they are what are confusing me!!

The 10 STS is a 'sanity check' summary of the # of stitches you should have made in that round you just finished, if that was part of what didn't make sense.

Your pattern is a little confusing - I'm not saying badly written, because it is clearly saying 'these 2 lines are rows, these 2 lines are rounds", but not sure if  'row 1, row 2, round 3, round 4, row 5, row 6' would be clearer than having multiple sets of row 1 & 2 and round 1 & 2.

There is a little complication in another way, because you are doing some shaping by not working straight across, but working part of a row in a prior row or round. This called working in 'short rows', more of a knitting term I think, but works in a similar way in crochet.  You create a hill by making shorter and shorter rows, then work down the hill over the row ends that fell short of the original longer row before all this started, and then across stitches left unworked a few rows or rounds below.

The row 1 at the top of the second column says to make 7 sc and a slip stitch, and stop short of the row and leave 5 sts unworked.  Row 2 takes you back to where you started row 1.

Then in the round 1 that follows, it says to sc across 7 sc and then down the hill to the foundation row, and then more stitches.  Does that make sense? 

Edited to add - if it does not make sense reading my description--here is a generic video showing how the concept of a short row works; a picture is worth 1000 words and all that.

Edited by Granny Square

You are very welcome--glad to help, and happy to save Taz!

And that sort of shaping is a bit of a head-tilter the first time you encounter it, it's not in every shaped thing but not rare either.  It would have helped a little if the pattern had given a little forewarning that short rows were ahead.