Pattern help

jstaff

Question

Hello all!

I seem to be stuck on this pattern and it is not coming out correctly. I attached the pattern (hopefully 😀). I am on Row 4 and I have no clue when they say to skip (dc, 1ch bow, dc). I assume it has to do with something with Row 3 but I am lost. I know there are pictures from each row on the pattern itself but I am just not seeing it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Start with hook size 4 and ch7
R1: (dc, ch3, tr) in the 7th ch from the hook, turn
R2: ch4 (counts as tr), 7dc in first ch3 bow, dc in next dc, 7dc in next bow, tr in 4th ch, turn (2
shells)
R3: ch7 (counts as tr + ch3), dc in the dc below the ch, ch1, skip next 2 dc, 3dc, ch1, skip 2 dc,
(dc, ch3, dc, ch3, dc) in the next dc, ch1, skip 2 dc, 3dc, ch1, skip next 2 dc, (dc, ch3, tr) in top
ch stitch, turn

R4: ch4, 7dc in first ch3 bow, ch1, skip (dc, 1ch bow, dc), dc, ch1, skip, (dc, ch1 bow) 7dc in
next ch3 bow, dc, 7dc in next ch3 bow, ch1, skip (dc, ch1 bow, dc), dc, ch1, skip ( dc, ch1 bow,
dc) 7dc in next ch3 bow, ch1, tr in 4th ch, turn (4 shells)

https://essiebirdies.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/close-to-you-shawl-pdf.pdf

2 answers to this question

I can only think of 'space' making sense as a more commonly used word for what the pattern is referring to, as it seems to be associated with chains (as in "chain space").  It comes up 26 times in the pattern, the open spaces come in pairs and I guess the designer thinks of them as 'bows' (like tie a ribbon in a  bow, not the front end of a ship!)

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

I can only think of 'space' making sense as a more commonly used word for what the pattern is referring to, as it seems to be associated with chains (as in "chain space").  It comes up 26 times in the pattern, the open spaces come in pairs and I guess the designer thinks of them as 'bows' (like tie a ribbon in a  bow, not the front end of a ship!)

Thank you!!! I couldn't figure it out for the life of me!!! 

Appreciate all your help!