ModestPrincessSummerTop Crochet Pattern Help| Beginner

EraCrochets

Question

Hello,

I am currently working on this summer top and I am a bit confused on how to go about Row 18:

• Row 18: sls in the 4 ch space + the 4 ch space from the other side, leaving (15-16-17-18-19-20-21) ch spaces in between. This opening will be the first sleeve. Ch 2 + 4 dcs in the same first 4 ch space + * ch 1 + 5 dcs in the next 4 ch space* repeat *-* (17-18-19-20-21-22-23) times. sls around the next 4 ch space + the 4 ch space from the other side, leaving another (15-16-17-18-19-20-21) ch spaces in between. This opening will be the second sleeve. Flip your work to the other side. Ch 2 + 4 dcs in the same 4 ch space we just sls in. * ch 1 + 5 dcs in the next 4 ch space* repeat *-* (13-14-15-16-17-18-19) times. 1 sc in the 2nd ch from the beginning of the row.
  • Row 19: ch 7 + * 1 dc around the next 1 ch space + ch 5* repeat *-* till the end. Sls in the 2nd ch from the beginning of the row.
  • Row 20: ch 7 + * 1 dc over the first dc + ch 5* repeat *-* till the end. Sls in the 2nd ch from the beginning of the row.
  • Row 21: same as row 20.
  • https://myaccessorybox.net/2018/06/01/modest-princess-summer-top-free-crochet-pattern/

Do I start with sls nxt ch4 then go back to the back ch4 space sls then cut yarn leaving 18spaces for sleeve, then rejoin after the 18 ch4 spaces for sleeve hole then ch2_4dcs+*ch1+5dcs in the nxt 17 ch4 spaces then once again cut yarn leave 18 ch4 spaces for other sleeve then rejoin ch2+4dcs +*ch1+5dcs in the nxt 17 ch4 spaces? I dont think that is correct as i would have two gaps if I continue working down as there are no steps on how to join? Any suggestions?
Thank you for your help!

IMG_0742.jpg

Edited by EraCrochets

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!  And I'm glad you figured it out, I could tell right away what was going on when it said to skip a bunch of stitches.  This sort of bodice is fairly common, but I scratched my head too the first time I ran into it, however I followed the directions and 'poof' suddenly an abstract shape folded into something that looked like an armpit-up garment.  I like that your pattern explained what was going on (this opening will be the first sleeve, etc.)  Not all patterns do this; wearables can be disorienting and if you 'know where you are going' you are less likely to make a mistake.

I drew a diagram of this once, this is different because your yoke is an oval not a rectangular raglan, but except for the increase scheme from the neck out, the concept of how it goes from flat rectangle or oval yoke to a bodice with sleeve-holes is the same.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1