Annie's Pattern for Rub-A-Duck Towel

LizC718

Question

I have ripped out the first 3 rows sooooo many times.  You'd think I would have given up!

Ch 82, dc in 2nd ch from hook, (sc in next ch, dc in next ch) across, Turn. (81 stchs) 

row 2 - ch 1, sk first dc, (dc in next sc, sc in next dc) across, ending with dc in beginning sk ch, turn.

row 3 - ch 1, sk 1st dc, (dc in next sc, sc in next dc) across, ending wih dc in beg ch1, turn

I end up with the last two stitches being a dc, so if i turn and ch 1 and then skip the 1st dc, I'm in the 2nd one

What am I missing!

I appreciate your help!

2 answers to this question

Either this pattern is messed up, or I'm missing something

This stitch pattern is the 'up down' stitch, is also called a griddle stitch.  Maybe the video will help?

If this washcloth is nothing but alternating sc and dc, where in the next row it's dc into sc, and sc into dc, and the stitch count is odd - one row should start and end with a sc, and the next should start and end with a dc, right?  Example, a diagram showing alternating rows of a 7 stitch row of this stitch pattern, where | is a DC and x is a SC:

| x | x | x | (4dc, 3 sc)

x | x | x | x  (4sc, 3 dc)

I think the turning chains might be confusing in this particular pattern.  If I were doing this, I would deal with rows that start and end with SC in the 'traditional' way, of chain 1, sc, where the chain 1 does not count as a stitch.  For rows starting and ending with DC, (so the prior row ended with a SC), I'd do either a no-turning chain DC (check youtube), or slip stitch into the first stitch and chain 3 (I personally don't like the look of this, it makes a bump), or make  a SC, chain 1 or 2 depending on your stitch height, and have that 'stand in' for the first DC (and be sure to make the last stitch of the following row into that top chain).  

• Like 1