Stitch help

LizC718

Question

RHC0126-031907M.pdf (yarnspirations.com)

this is the pattern that I am making

The foundation row is:  3 dc in 4th ch from hook. *Skip next 3 ch. (1 sc. Ch 1. 3 dc) in next ch. Rep from * to last 4 ch. Skip next 3 ch. 1 sc in last ch. Turn. 23 groups of 3-dc.

and the 2nd row is:  2nd row: Ch 3. 3 dc in first sc. *Skip next 3 dc. 1 sc in next ch-3 sp. 3 dc in next sc. Rep from * to last 3 dc and turning ch-3. Skip next 3 dc. 1 sc in top of ch-3. Turn.

There is a diagram on the pattern and it shows three ch on the foundation row.  I am very confused and today, it doesnt take much to do that 

I appreciate any help

2 answers to this question

The written pattern does not seem to match the diagram.  I totally get that different people like patterns in different formats (video, written, diagrammed), or stick with one and eschew the others (I 'eschew' videos except short ones for a new-to-me technique, but like written but prefer diagrammed for something flat with lacy or 'slightly' irregular pattern like this).  

To match the diagram, Row 1 should have said

Foundation row: 3 dc in 4th ch from hook. *Skip next 3 ch. (1 sc. Ch 1 chain 3. 3 dc) in next ch. Rep from * to last 4 ch. Skip next 3 ch. 1 sc in last ch. Turn. 23 groups of 3-dc.

Here is a link that shows you how to read diagrams, it can really take the mystery out of wordy written pattern passages.  The diagrams 'sort of' look like the stitches so are not too difficult to get the hang of.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

The written pattern does not seem to match the diagram.  I totally get that different people like patterns in different formats (video, written, diagrammed), or stick with one and eschew the others (I 'eschew' videos except short ones for a new-to-me technique, but like written but prefer diagrammed for something flat with lacy or 'slightly' irregular pattern like this).  

To match the diagram, Row 1 should have said

Foundation row: 3 dc in 4th ch from hook. *Skip next 3 ch. (1 sc. Ch 1 chain 3. 3 dc) in next ch. Rep from * to last 4 ch. Skip next 3 ch. 1 sc in last ch. Turn. 23 groups of 3-dc.

Here is a link that shows you how to read diagrams, it can really take the mystery out of wordy written pattern passages.  The diagrams 'sort of' look like the stitches so are not too difficult to get the hang of.

Thanks so much!  I have never followed a diagram before, and the first time I did the foundation row and was going for the 2nd, it just didn't make sense.

I'll check out that link you suggested for future projects!