Whimsical Stitches Cow

crochet.chick

Question

hi I'm new to crocheting and as this is my very first project I'm very confused about how to read a pattern. can someone help me understand how to read this cow pattern from Whimsical Stitches?

these are the rows I don't understand:

R2: 2 sc in each st around

R3: *sc 1, 2 sc in nest st* 6 times

R4: *sc 2, 2 sc in nest st* 6 times

R5: *sc 3, 2 sc in nest st* 6 times

R6: *sc 4, 2 sc in nest st* 6 times

R7-12: sc 36

R13: *sc 4, inv dec 1* 6 times

does the order in which sc 1 then it goes 2 sc matter? and what do the asterisks mean? thanks!

5 answers to this question

does the order in which sc 1 then it goes 2 sc matter?

Generally you work a pattern in the order it is written.  That being said you can always experiment and see if you like it or not.  Sometimes its going to matter other times it might not.  Crochet is easy to pull out and start over

and what do the asterisks mean? thanks!

in this pattern you work the stitch sequence written between the asterisks the number of times stated following the 2nd asterisk

R3: *sc 1, 2 sc in nest st* 6 times written out longhand would be

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

And typo in pattern given nest should be next

1 hour ago, bgs said:

does the order in which sc 1 then it goes 2 sc matter?

Generally you work a pattern in the order it is written.  That being said you can always experiment and see if you like it or not.  Sometimes its going to matter other times it might not.  Crochet is easy to pull out and start over

and what do the asterisks mean? thanks!

in this pattern you work the stitch sequence written between the asterisks the number of times stated following the 2nd asterisk

R3: *sc 1, 2 sc in nest st* 6 times written out longhand would be

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

sc 1, 2 sc in nest st

And typo in pattern given nest should be next

great, thanks! but what does sc 1, 2 sc actually mean (besides single crochet)? like where do I put the stitches? is every other stitch 1 then 2? does it go 1 sc in the stitch then 2 sc in the next stitch then 1 sc etc? and the typo is my bad, sorry.

2 hours ago, crochet.chick said:

R3: *sc 1, 2 sc in nest st* 6 times

Ok so you have 6 sc in in round 1 right?

R2: 2 sc in each st around

Make 2 sc into each of the sc in round 1.  You made 12 stitches and worked into all 6 stitches of R1.

R3: *sc 1, 2 sc in next st* 6 times means to

sc in first stitch of round 2, make 2 sc into the next (second) stitch of round 2

sc in next stitch of round 2, make 2 sc into the next  stitch of round 2

sc in next stitch (which would be 11th stitch) of round 2, make 2 sc into the last  stitch of round 2

you will have worked into all 12 stitches of R 3 and you will have made 18 stitches in R 4

Allow me to say that reading a pattern is almost like learning a new language.  I learned from a book and the first time I crocheted it was very frustrating!   Like I knew that 'sc' meant single crochet and I knew how to make a single crochet but putting it together with other directions took me a while to get the hang of.

Luckily you have the internet where you can gets LOTS of info and direction.  And this forum of course.

I've been crocheting since about 2002 or so and I still have challenges reading patterns (and some of them aren't written that well, btw) and I still refer to videos online.

Stick to it and you'll get it.  And try to concentrate on patterns labeled 'beginner' for now at least.  Just because it's a beginner pattern doesn't mean it isn't good.  Believe me there are plenty of pretty easy patterns out there that look really good!

Don't give up!  You got this!  👍

Edited by Scoop183