Gauge

NLS

Question

I’m starting a new project and making a test swatch to get the correct crochet hook size for the gauge. What do you do when the suggested hook produces to large a gauge but the next size down produces too small of a gauge?

1 answer to this question

What are you making?  If it's a wearable (a sweater for instance), I will look at the pattern at the bust/body area and count the stitches.  I'm usually a 'medium' for most patterns size-wise, so if my stitches are too small across I'll look at the # of stitches for the large, and do the math based on my stitch width- calculate the width of 1 of my stitches, and multiply that by the # of stitches in that pattern for the large size.  Or if my stitches are too wide, I'll do the math for the small size; this usually works for me as I don't make super fitted garments.  I don't pay as much attention to stitch height, I can usually just work to the length I want.

If it's not a wearable and doesn't have to 'fit', say a blanket--I'd just chain a little longer than the width I want, and work back, and get as many stitch repeats as I can in there, turn and continue on.  The excess chains can be picked out later and the end woven in, it won't unravel.