Help with pattern

Kiwilicious

Question

Hi! I'm still pretty new to crochet, and in two patterns I noticed wording like this, but don't understand how to do it.

Example 1: With colour A, ch 2, 3 sc in 2 ch from hook.

How can I sc 3, when I only chained 2?

Example 2: After joining 6 ch with a slip st to form a ring, ch 3, 15 dc in ring. 

Again, how can I db 15, when I ch 3?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 answers to this question

In these cases you are NOT making a stitch into each chain.  You van put multiple stitches into one chain or stitch.

In your first case you ch 2 and are making 6 sc into that one chain which is the second chain from your hook.

In your second case you are working all those stitches into the ring that you made by chaining 6 and joining.  You work into the ring not into the chains.

Those are two ways to get started working in the round.  There is a third way called the magic ring.  Its good when you want to pull your ring in tight because you can do it after you have made your stitches in the ring.  Even though a pattern may say to start it one way you can sub in one of the other methods.  You might like the looks better.  She shows all three methods here.  The difference is she shows making dc's into 3rd ch from hook instead of sc's into 2nd ch from hook.

• Like 1