Trudy

Trudy F

Question

I’m trying to crochet a bird wing. I don’t understand the pattern. It starts like this:

magic circle 6

rnd 1 *inc 1, inc 1, dc 1* twice

rnd 2 dc 1, inc 1, inc 1, dc 3, inc 1, inc 1, dc 2

rnd 3 dc 2, inc 1, inc 1, dc 5 inc 1, inc 1 dc 3

I crochet a lot but don’t understand this.  If you can help 

1 answer to this question

Hi Trudy,

I'm assuming the pattern is in UK stitch terms not US. (a UK DC is a US SC).

magic circle: 6 --make a magic ring, and put 6 UK DC around the ring.  An alternative that would also work if you are new to making a magic ring, would be to chain 2, and put 6 UK DC into the second chain from the hook - this is the instruction older patterns would have typically used, and the end result is the same for something with only 6 stitches at the start.

rnd 1: *inc 1, inc 1, dc 1* twice  means put 2 stitches into the first st and also the second st, and put 1 stitch into the third stitch; this turns 3 stitches into 5.  Repeat once more, for a total of 10 sts.

rnd 2: dc 1, inc 1, inc 1, dc 3, inc 1, inc 1, dc 2 Do what it says.  It is using the 10 sts you made in the prior row: I'm counting that you will have created 13.  Note, when any pattern says something like 'DC 3', conventionally it means to make 1 DC into each of the next 3 stitches.  "Inc", for increase, usually is understood to mean 2 stitches into 1, for something other than this a pattern might say (example)  '3 DC into the next stitch' .  I'm counting that you should have 14 sts total now.

rnd 3: dc 2, inc 1, inc 1, dc 5, inc 1, inc 1 dc 3 Put 1 DC into each of the next 2 sts, 2 DCs into the next stitch (twice), 1 DC into each of the next 5 sts, 2 DCs into the next stitch (twice), 1 DC into each of the next 3 DC.  I'm counting 18 sts.