Pattern Help

helenmcchump

Question

4 answers to this question

BLO means 'back loop only' and FLO means 'front loop only'.  If you look at the top of the row of stitches you will be working into, there are 2 loops sort of parallel = like this, sort of.  The loop farthest from you is the back loop, the closer one is the front loop.  So instead of sticking your hook under both loops as usual, you use only 1 of the loops, and leave the other free.

However, what is throwing me (a little) is "2 rounds below".  The only way this would work (I think) is if (example) you are working in row 5, there was a chain span in row 4 which skipped stitches in the row 3 , and now those skipped stitches are 2 stitches below you.  Not an impossible maneuver, just unusual.  *

Is there a link on the 'net to a photo of the pattern you are working?  This probably is for making a dimensional  design on the fabric.

* or, less likely because I assume you are asking because this is the first time you encountered the term - I have seen patterns have you work certain stitches FLO or BLO, and then a few rows later you work a long stitch (like a double treble, say) down over the surface of the fabric, working into the loop that was left unused before x rows below by the FLO or BLO stitch.  Example, the Pineapple Song doily did that to create the raised diamond outlines in the center, and raised lines in the scallops near the edge, and probably elsewhere (I worked the pattern probably 15 years ago, it used that technique quite a bit as I recall; since it was all worked with the same side facing, the 'base stitch was made BLO, leaving the front loop free to be worked into using a tall stitch a few roundss later.  

I hope this all makes sense?

• Like 1

Copying so I don't have to scroll... " *BLO sc in each of the next 2 sts, (FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in the next st) 3 times, rep from * around. 

The repeat is BLO sc in each of the next 2 sts once, then the stuff in parentheses 3 times, then start from the * again, repeating that whole sequence however many times until you reach the end. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Granny Square said:

Copying so I don't have to scroll... " *BLO sc in each of the next 2 sts, (FLO dc in the next st 2 rnds below, BLO sc in the next st) 3 times, rep from * around. 

The repeat is BLO sc in each of the next 2 sts once, then the stuff in parentheses 3 times, then start from the * again, repeating that whole sequence however many times until you reach the end. 

OK, that makes so much sense! I cannot thank you enough!