Weird looking stripes

Danynew

Question

Hi everyone,

I’m learning to crochet. I’m doing swatches to practice changing colors and doing stripes in sc. My stripes keep coming out weird with some rows looking more prominent than others. Is there a way to make all the stripes look the same?  I am using Caron simply soft yarn and a 5mm hook. I think my tension is pretty good and I am putting my hook under the top loops. I want to make a blanket where the colors change each row in sc. I tried to post a photo, but I could not get it to work.  Thanks for all your help.

3 answers to this question

I saw your photo in the other post. The most obvious problem is that you are losing stitches, at a pretty significant pace, which presumably is not supposed to happen on a blanket.

A very handy thing to have handy are stitch markers, for new and experienced crocheters.  I use bobby pins because they are (much!) cheaper than the special markers you can buy, and stay put pretty well.  

If this were not just a practice swatch but a real project, I'd  recommend that you rip out what you have and start over -- I count15 sts at the last row and not sure but I think I'm seeing 19 at the beginning row.  You are losing stitches, probably because you are new you aren't recognizing where to put your first or last stitch.  If you start over, (or want to try this from this point forward since it's a swatch),  put a stitch marker in the first stitch, work to the end, and put a stitch marker in the last stitch. Chain 1, turn. and put the first stitch of the next row in the stitch with the stitch marker in it, when you've finished that stitch pull the marker out of its old place and put it in to the stitch you just made.  Assuming your blanket isn't supposed to change width, do this every row, until you are confident you can recognize where the first and last stitch are without the markers.

Second issue:  Maybe you are doing this on purpose, but looking at the left side, where purple transition to blue - the purple should not be coming up the side of the blue.  The 'normal/neater' way to change color is to complete the last stitch just prior to the last yo and pull thru, and change colors at that point - so the yo and pull thru of the last stitch of the old color is in the new color.  This makes the transition look much tidier.