Help with set up of Bowtie Pi shawl pattern

Vicki Bier

Question

I am trying to use the Bow-tie Pi shawl pattern: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bowtie-pi (free pattern available there).  Most of it looks pretty simple, but I can't figure out the set up (I'm not terribly experienced at crochet).

The instructions for the set up read "Chain 4, DC in fourth chain from hook, Ch 2, 4 DC, Ch 2, 4DC, Ch 2, 2DC, turn."

The point I'm getting stuck at is where the DC stitches go.  When you do Ch 2, 4 DC, do the 4 DC go in the fourth chain from hook (like the first DC)?  Seems like that will make a circle, not a row.  Does each set of DC go into the first stitch of the preceding chain?  Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Vicki

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  It looks like this is a half circle, starting from the center. 

I am reading this as all of the part you quoted above goes into the 4th chain from the hook.  You can cram a LOT of stitches into 1 stitch or chain, and if I'm counting right that's only 11 stitches into 1 chain (piece of cake, I've put twice that many into 1 chain before, many times).  The chains don't count, they are floating above the chain.  Does that make sense?

After that, the half rounds will increase at a more normal pace.

Edited by Granny Square