Rose Leatherwood - Crochet Project - Amigurumi Elephant

Rose Leatherwood

Question

The pattern I am working on was written by a foreign person and was translated by someone else. It evidently is an older pattern as it has references to online videos which are no longer there, My question is: One of the instructions reads to move stitch marker four places to the left, (I am working in the round).

if I do this, what happens to the stitches left between my hook and the new stitch for the marker. Am I supposed to crochet in the opposite direction? I am supposed to have the same amount of stitches on this new row as I had on the previous. I am totally confused and have no way to contace the person who developed this pattern as there is nothing to indicate where this pattern came from. Thank you

1 answer to this question

Hi Rose, welcome to the 'ville.  I have no idea if this is right, but - I have encountered something in vintage lace doily patterns (in the round) that this reminded me of.

(I'm assuming right handed crochet here) 

Sometimes, after many rounds of starting at the same spot (vertically), the pattern has you 'scoot over' one way or the other - sometimes slip stitch 'forward' a few stitches to the left, or turn, slip stitch 'the wrong way' for a few stitches, and turn to work with the right side facing you again, but the starting point is now a few stitches to the right of ('before') where it used to be.  The patterns have never said that this was to change the starting point (terse vintage patterns and all that), but it made sense to do that based on a change of stitch pattern at that point. 

Assuming the marker was the first stitch of the round, and you are moving the marker to the left - ahead of the old starting point, it should say what to do between the old marked spot and the new.  (edit, I forgot it was a toy - probably all or mostly SC, right?)

Speaking of vintage patterns, that's where I learned if a pattern said something that made me go ?did it mean A, or B?  I'd look at the pattern photo for a clue.

Edited by Granny Square