Help! Working on ruffles and ribbons Afghan pattern by Terry Kimbrough

Mel Fleming

Question

Hi, I used to crochet quite a number of years ago. I was prompted to start again, I have made this pattern in the past but I am having so much trouble with reading Rows 5, 6, 7 of the pattern instructions. It just didn’t look right. I’ve undone it at least 5 times.

475200E7-31A4-45C9-965C-5733AE10D4F8.jpeg

image.jpg

3 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville.  I took a look at the pattern notes of folks that made this at Ravelry, and no one mentioned problems (except underestimating yarn amount), and more than one said it was 'easy and fast'.

Row 5 is mostly just making a 'V' stitch all the way across (a V stitch is x dcs, x chains, x dcs; x does not need to be the same number).  I think what would be a little 'less easy to follow' for me is that the V stitches are not all the same, some are dc ch2 dc, and some are dc ch1 dc.  Not difficult, just something that is not going to work well on my autopilot setting.  I'd probably be double and triple checking that I got the sequence right, since it sets up the following row. 

Sometimes I make slash marks like this / on my patterns / when the sections of a repeat are complex-ish or asymmetrical / to keep on track--I'd probably be doing this for row 5.  I make a lot of lace (doilies) and a time or 2 I've actually diagrammed a repeat that I found hard to memorize.

Thank you so much for your response! I had it going in that direction and I think I underestimated myself. After a while, I got so frustrated and my mind just ‘shut down.’

Thank you for the suggestion which will be very helpful. I haven’t crocheted in a while. In fact, the reference book I used to remember  the stitches has quite yellowed pages and is probably is in an archive somewhere.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer and help me! You have restored my confidence!

Have a great day and zi realized when I started again how much I enjoyed crocheting. I “bought” 2 crocheted items as Christmas gifts and people asked me if I did them. I told them the truth but I realized I could have done them!😀🧶