Baby cocoon

Patcrupi

Question

This is my very first crocheting project. I started the project and have a circle and the circle is just getting larger and larger. How do i have it come up to look like a cocoon?  I am having difficulty reading the instructions I guess. 

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  The answer is: stop increasing!  Just work round and round until it's the length it is supposed to be.

But first, how wide is it supposed to be?.  What is the completed cocoon laid flat supposed to measure across when it is done--meaning, the circumference of the circle?  

I just grabbed an arbitrary baby cocoon pattern that gave measurements
Cocoon: 18 inches long, at center widest point circumference of 26 inches and top edge circumference of 24 inches

Not sure why it narrows at the top, but let's say you are aiming for the center width of 26" circumference.  Circumference  divided by 3.14=diameter.  For this example pattern, divide 26 by 3.14 which is 8.28".  So you want to rip back until the diameter of your circle is just a tad over eight and a quarter inches, and then stop increasing just work around and around until it is 18" long. (for this example pattern).  It does take a bit for it to stop looking like a circle and start curling up to look like a bag.