Amigurumi question

BikeBookBread

Question

It’s been years since I did any Ami. Does this make sense? Or do I need a refresher on how to read Ami patterns? I bought an Ami pattern on Etsy to make a Squishmallow-style frog for my daughter. 

✿ Rnd 10-25 (16 Rnds): 1 sc in all 36 sts = (54)

Should I be doing 36 stitches per round? Or 54 per round? Or does the 54 mean something else?

ETA:

I think it is a simple typo. 16 x 36 = 576

Edited by BikeBookBread

3 answers to this question

I think the pattern designer might have made a typo.

I have a theory.  Most toys start with a flat circle for the head, starting with 6 sc and adding 6 sc each round for as many rounds as needed before they start being working even (without increasing) for a while to shape a ball-shaped head.  54 divided by 6 is 9, which means round 9 was likely 54 stitches - so the 36 is probably a typo.  (in other words, it may have meant to work without increasing around 54 sts for rounds 10-25, not 36 sts)

This is a guess on my part, does it makes sense to the instructions up to round 9?

Edited by Granny Square

24 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I think the pattern designer might have made a typo.

I have a theory.  Most toys start with a flat circle for the head, starting with 6 sc and adding 6 sc each round for as many rounds as needed before they start being working even (without increasing) for a while to shape a ball-shaped head.  54 divided by 6 is 9, which means round 9 was likely 54 stitches - so the 36 is probably a typo.  (in other words, it may have meant to work without increasing around 54 sts for rounds 10-25, not 36 sts)

This is a guess on my part, does it makes sense to the instructions up to round 9?

Yes. Instructions are clear. However, now that I’m looking at it, I think I might make some amendments. The top isn’t flat enough, in fact, it is sort of pointy. I think it needs more rounds of 6. Also, the 36 rounds have started to create a ridge, almost like the ribbed edge of a hat. In fact, it sorta looks like a ski hat. 😑 Sometimes you can’t tell until you are a ways into the pattern. I could probably adjust it with lots of stuffing, though.

Thanks for the answer. At least I still know how to read a pattern! I don’t feel so dumb now.

You're welcome.  Everybody has a little different way of making stitches, tall, short, fat, skinny - so the 'rule' of 'start with 6 and add 6 each round' works for many, but not all of us.  I make short-ish stitches and I sometimes have to tweak center-out doilies depending on the designers' stitch height tendency compared to mine (would have to tweak more if it wasn't possible to block out most ruffling!).