"Holes" on first row of double crochet baby blanket

EColleen

Question

I am a beginner that just pulled out a baby blanket I started over 13 years ago! (I made a bunch of simple afghans for a couple of years)  I'm thrilled to get started again and the wealth of info now is fantastic. My little pink blanket is simply rows of double crochet.  I just finished a SC around the outside of my little blanket as suggested in a video before adding a border.  The sides have holes that I'm wondering if I can somehow close before attempting to add a border.  Is this possible?  I've watched several videos on how to avoid this "mistake" moving forward.  I don't want to start over, I'd just like to finish this and make it look better.  Maybe those little holes won't look that bad if I just leave them there?  Please advise.  Thank you.

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  A lot, if not most, crochet fabrics are not 'solid'.  Rows of US DC is not going to be solid, you are going to see gaps - it's the nature of the beast.  And if you are making edge stitches into the sides of DCs, there are likely to be gaps if you worked around the 'bodies' or 'posts' of the DCs--is the 'easiest' way to do it but that basically makes a gappy buttonhole.

When I work down the sides of DC fabric, I don't work around the posts, I work into the stitch itself, by picking 2 spots for each DCs at the edge of the fabric and being consistent on how I place them along the sides.  You don't have to do the whole blanket over, but if your project were mine, I'd re-do the round of SCs; make a trial (or 2 or 3) of working into the sides of a few stitches until a combo of choices of where to place the stitches looks OK to you, then run with that version (and be  consistent).

I usually pick the spot where the row ends meet, and then a loop or loops in the middle of the body of a stitch or turning chain; so 2 stitches are made for each DC along the sides.  If you make tallish stitches, you may have to add a stitch for every DC, or every so often.  

Also, normally/'the rule' for when you turn a corner, for SC you make 3 SC in the corner, for DC, 5 DC in the corner.  What I do is make the middle stitch a chain, it traverses the same distance but the chain allows it to 'fold'  so the corner looks sharper.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1