Help!!!!

Aaliyah

Question

Hello my bame is Aaliyah and I need your help please! When I use fuzzy yarn/blanket yarn when making amiguurmi it always peaks at the top. I have tried not closing the circle all the way, trying a different method for the circle and other things! I am so frustrated and am ready to give up. Please help!

2 answers to this question

I've never had this happen to me, but I'd experiment with altering the # of stitches that you start with in the first couple of rounds, and then 'catching up to' the right number.  You may have to try and rip a couple of times.  I'm going to use US stitch terms.

Normally, the formula is to start a circle for SC is start with 6 sc in rnd1, then add 6 each round, so round 2 is 12, round 3 is 18, etc.

I will admit I don't care bulky yarn so never use it, but I would think a 'peak' when you pull the center tight means too much bulk in the very center that you are pulling closed.  So I'd try to take some stitches out of the first round, something like starting with 4 sc, then 12 in the second round and see what happens (so, 3 sts in each of the 4).  These numbers are off the top of my head, but it takes 2 stitches out of the center and gets you back to the right stitch count at round 2; you may have to tinker with this.

I'm curious, does it happen to you with a thinner yarn?

I just tried this in worsted weight yarn with 3 rounds, the rounds being 4, then 12 (3 into each st), then 18 (1 st in 1 stitch, 2 sts in the next, repeat), and it laid flat with the center pulled tight, and didn't look weird, so the scheme works--I hope it solves your problem, everyone makes different gauge stitches (tighter, looser, taller, shorter) so it might depend on the crocheter.

So that only took 2 sts out of the center, but that is a third of the stitches.  I tried starting with 3 but it was hard to see what I was doing.  The only other thing I can think of if starting with 4  doesn't help, is start the center by leaving a long tail to sew with, not pull it as tight to cause the bump, and sew up the hole neatly from the underside to close the hole and secure it at the same time.