Make balanced baby crib mobile

Moose

Question

Hi everyone! I'm Moose and I'm crocheting a solar system mobile for my friend's baby! I want to make the planets different sizes and thus they will be different weights. How can I do this and keep the mobile balanced so it doesn't tilt to one side? Thank you!

2 answers to this question

What a great question.  Obviously you have to stray from realism a LOT, otherwise the sun would be the size of the entire kid's room and the earth would be a grain of sand 3 miles away (or something like that).  A baby is only going to notice pretty colored orbs, he/she isn't going to refer to it to study for a test in science class years from now.  It won't be in reach so doesn't have to be baby-safe, right?  In other words you can hang the planets from wires or dowels?

Below are a couple of examples, the middle one is free; I think the second 2 rely on balancing similarly sized planets across from each other.

Here is an example, I don't know if you can order it or find a copy of the magazine, but the planets are all about the same size (and the rocket ship is planet size!)  but it's adorable.  If you can crochet a ball shape, (there are tutorials out there) you could easily wing this.

Here is one that is (very slightly) more realistic,, and it's free; there's probably a system in hanging the planets where similarly sized ones hang across each other for balance.

Here is another not-free one

Thank you @Granny Square! Those patterns are great. I'm working towards something similarly sized. Regarding the balancing of the differently sized planets, I think I'm going to hang them in a circle using an embroidery hoop, and hang the sun in the center. I won't have to balance anything with the heaviness of the sun and the next heaviest planet will be Saturn with its rings. Then I'll use my food scale to weigh out the planets and add dried beans for weight + stuffing to each until they weigh the same amount. I'll have to see how I can make tiny little Mercury weigh as much as everything else. :)