Crochet Stitches

NCcountrygal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/18/2022 at 9:26 PM, NCcountrygal said:

I have just tried out this stitch for myself. Sweet! This crocheted V-Knit Stitch resembles the knitted stockinette stitch, as does the centre split single crochet (aka the waistcoat stitch). Not only does the V-Knit stitch have (slightly) more drape than the waistcoat stitch, it is worked in back and forth rows and therefore completely reversible. The waistcoat stitch is most effective worked in the round or on one side only by cutting your yarn at the end of every row and starting again at the right edge - or you could learn to crochet backwards. I mention this because working the V-Knit stitch is just as fiddly as working the waistcoat stitch, maybe even more so; but the fact that it is worked in back and forth rows and has more drape makes it a worthwhile alternative;

I'd like to point one thing out about the tutorial though.
The demonstrator has you counting a turning chain as a stitch and working into the second stitch in the row (and subsequently having to work into the turning chain of the previous row when you get to the end of the row). Totally not necessary. I detest turning chains and do not use turning chains at all when working rows of single crochet. I simply turn my work and work into the first stitch. It's a little finicky catching that extra strand on that first stitch, but it can be done (or you could simply work the first stitch in the row as a regular sc. However, your edge will look better if you can catch that extra front strand ).

Here's a pic of my little swatch

v stitch swatch june 24 2024.jpg

• Like 1