New member who is going to have many questions.

Ridgemart

As I said I am new here and need lots of help. I am new to both this forum and crochet. I’m a man mid sixties and retired with a significant disability. 20 years ago at the prime of my life I suffered a massive stroke that just about ended my life but I was too tough to meet my maker but I still suffered some physical damage that I’ve had to work to adapt to. I feel I’ve done a good job adapting to this point in time. I’m able to walk it’s not pretty or fast but it’s upright and moves me forward albeit slower than I’d like. I also can drive but had to take the driving test again at age 50 plus. Not fun but I passed without issues and have driven for the 20 years since the stroke safely. My most notable stroke disability is the complete paralysis of my left arm hand and arm.

Now that I am retired and home all day and was getting tired and bored watching TV all day I wanted to find something else to do all day so I started to study crochet online and any other way I could think of. I’ve looked for ways to crochet using only one hand but found very little but I kept looking and finally found a few ideas on YouTube so I fashioned my own device to hold a hook and have been trying to teach myself how to crochet. I can tie a slip knot with one hand and can do a few chain stitches with the hook holder I devised. Some of my chain stitches look OK but they never like as nice as what I see on YouTube mine look messy and not nice and neat. I have no clue what I am doing wrong but I will keep trying until I figure it out. My chains have to obvious “V’s” to insert the hook for the next stitches but they are not neat and even. I’m guessing it’s because I don’t have a hand to hold the yarn with! I just stuff the yarn next to my leg against the chair cushions and pull more working yarn when needed. This is the only way I have found to deal with not being able to hold yarn like most people can.

Regardless, I’m happy to be here and look forward to learning more from all of you!

All the best

George

Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁

You have come to the right place for help.  We love to help and when you can we love pictures.  I have found that no one in this place judges, we encourage.  Just remember have fun and there are plenty of place to just hang and talk.

• 4 weeks later...