HARRY POTTER CROCHET SORTING HAT

Abixxlou

Question

The Harry Potter crochet book. 
the sorting hat

Please can someone help. I’m stuck on this part! Previously in round 41 they said to not remove the stitch marker and to carry on around. Which I have done! I then followed the pattern for the eyebrows and now have fastened off as said. Here’s the bit I’m confused with 

SHORT ROWS 

beginning in marked st from rnd 41, count 15 sts to the right of the marked st, removed marker and place beg of rnd st marker in line with the 12 sts of the previous set of short rows 

I followed the pattern for the 41 rnd and counted the 15 to the right. And already marked. Presuming they’re in line with the short rows?? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Abixxlou
Pictures missing

3 answers to this question

I love the hat's face! 

A short row is where you shape something, example it's used to make extra fabric for bust shaping, and turning sock heels.  A 'short row means to work part way across a row, and work back, in a way that doesn't make a vertical 'cliff', but a gradual slanted slope, and then after a few short rows, each one shorter than the one before, you continue down the slope.  In your pattern, the 'down the slope' happens in row 6, where you are stitching into the row ends. edit, short rows are probably what form the pleats in the hat.

When stitching into the edge of a stitch, the place to insert your hook isn't as obvious as it is working into stitch tops; just try to be consistent and tidy.

Edited by Granny Square

When you make short rows, you are turning, because they are rows not rounds.  So on a short row, one row is facing inside, the next outside, and so on.

There are 6 short rows, and they were all turned. 

If you were working in the round before that, the right side was facing you, and row 1 and all the odd rows of the short rows would have been right side facing, and the even rows would have been odd side facing - as row 6 says, it is wrong side facing when you finish the first part, and continues to be wrong side facing when you work along the row ends--AFTER row 6 it tells you to turn so it's right side facing ready for whatever is next.