Crochet unicorn help

Jane27

Question

Hello I'm very new to crocheting and I've started a unicorn crochet kit by needle creations. I'm having trouble with the neck and body part. The instructions say round 1: start with 7 sc in 2n ch from the hook.  so I've done a magic ring with seven sc. round 2: {inc} 7 times - 14 stitches. rounds 3-6: SC around -14 stitches. which I've done and then the next part is where I'm having problems. round 7 says, ch 9, SC in 2n ch from hook and in next 7 ch, SC in next 6 st, inc, SC in next 7 sts - 22 sts. I do this but I end up having a chain hanging off my round and 23 sts in total. Am I doing it wrong? Is it supposed to be that way? Then the next part says round 8: working in the back loops of the ch previously made, sc in next 7 stitches {inc} 2 times, sc in the next 14 stitches {inc} sc in the next 4 stitches - 31 stitches. But if the hanging chain is right how to I even join it to the round? I know I'm messing up somewhere. Can someone please help me?

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  

This reminds me of a pattern kit that had a step that was questioned here before (more than once), for a llama.   I think your unicorn may be made in a similar way.

I'll describe the 'odd part' of the llama, it had you make the head and neck, and then at the back of the neck, you made a long chain which became the 'backbone'.  Making that chain from the neck, you end up at the tail end.  You turn, work into the chain back to the neck, around the neck, and then back along the UNDERSIDE of the chain toward the tail, using the loops of the chain that you did not use on the first pass.

Working along both sides of a chain is a way to start making an oval shape, example a rug, or the underside of a market bag, or here, a llama body.  I suggest on your first pass of working into the chain you do NOT use the back loop, because it pulls the chain tight and will make the second pass in the remaining loops difficult.  I like to use, with the chain looking part facing me, the topmost loop in general, and in on an oval for the first pass, and then for the return pass using the remaining 2 loops.

Working in the underside of the chain is a little 'weird' the first time; it might help if you find a youtube about making an oval; the details may be different but it should help with the 'under the chain' concept.  The youtubes may show making a flat oval by adding extra stitches at each end to turn the corner and keep it flat, which would be different than your the llama body, which is more like making a more or less flat folded bag.