Skull Cap from Crochet! Mag July 2005

donnalynn2

Question

Ok, I am working on the Skull Cap for my nephew and a couple of things just don't seem right...

It says to use DMC Traditions Crochet Cotton Size 10 Holding 3 strands together with a size F hook...

I couldn't find this yarn and I think I guessed incorrectly that this was regular old WW 4 ply cotton. Now I'm guessing I was wrong. So I thought I would try this pattern in regular old WW. Since it's all but impossible to hold 3 strands of WW together on an F hook I am using one... Now I think my hat is too big. I'm about 1/2 way done... It says the circumference is 18 inches but I'm horrible with figuring that stuff out. Mine is 8 inches across... Anyone know if this is wrong or not????

Thanks for any help!

2 answers to this question

That DMC would be thread, regular bedspread weight. Use a tape measure and pull it all around to get the circumference. It will probably turn out larger with WW rather than 3 size 10.

Well that would explain why it's so big!!! All the way around it's 24 inches! Oooops! Oh well, I was only 1/2 way done. I guess I'll frog it and start over...

I do not do well with thread so I think I'll do it in the same WW yarn I did this mistake in. Maybe I just won't increase as much as the pattern calls for... THANKS!

Archived