Help with pattern instructions

Terv-Mama

Question

Screenshot_20210930-104303.thumb.png.01c5dba2d5d05941e30fbdb2cfdfff0a.pngCan someone help me figure out this doll hat pattern? I know how to read a pattern, but there are a couple of parts that have me stumped. 
*Pic #1 is the finished hat.
*Pic #2, highlighted text says "work in the loop on a hook" ... what does that mean?
*Pic #3, highlighted, says "work this row on stitches of row 9", and I'm currently working row 11, so this is actually not the previous row, but 2 rows back (?)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Screenshot_20210930-103657~2.png

Screenshot_20210930-103733~2.png

2 answers to this question

Question 1 (pic 2): I think it is just telling you to put a slip knot on the hook and make a chain for the 'stem'.

Question 2 (pic 3):  The end of row 9 of the fairy hat says 'end here or continue to work' one of a choice of trims.  So you have made 9 rounds of the basic fairy hat, therefore row 2 of the fairy brim would be row 11 from the very beginning--or at least that's the way I'm reading it.

Edited by Granny Square
fixed spelling
  • Like 1

The way this pattern is written is somewhat confusing, so I'm just taking a guess here. For your first question, I guess it wants you to chain 3 more stitches (which count as a dc) after your first 6 chains and then work the dc stitches into the 6th chain from the beginning of the work. That way you'll get a "disc" of dc stitches attached to your chain 6 "stem".

Regarding your second question, I think you will indeed be working into the row 9 for the second time. Maybe something like this, but always working into both loops of a stitch, so you get something that has two layers at the end like ruffled doilies?

I'm sorry if this isn't very helpful. Can you contact the pattern designer for some advice?