Please help me understand this pattern.

Stace8710

Question

Hi all, I am working on a pattern that has the instruction "SC into the last stitch made" please can someone advise if this literally means the last stitch I just crocheted as I am finding it difficult to get my hook positioned to go straight back into the stitch I just made. Thank you in advance for any help.

This is the full row instructions:

Row 2-13: CH1, turn, 5 SC (5).

Working in round, start on the long edge.

Round 1: SC in last ST made, 11SC, INC, 3SC, INC, 12 SC, INC, 3 SC, SLST into the 1st SC.

Edited by Stace8710
Error in posting

4 answers to this question

I'm hesitating to answer without seeing the pattern or an image of the item. 

It seems like you've created a rectangle that's 13 rows and only 5 SC wide? 

And Round 1 begins creating something that's going to crochet around all 4 sides of the rectangle? 

Then my best guess is that you've turned the rectangle and are going down the long edge (13 rows)  rather than across the short edge (5 SC).  If this is the case, then you'd actually make the 'SC in last ST made' into the side of the SC from row 13.

Rows 1-6 made a rectangle worked in rows.  Now, you will start making a border around the rectangle, which is working in the round and will become the start of the pouch part. 

The last stitch you made was the last stitch of the rectangle.  Next, you make a turning chain and turn so you will be working around the rectangle, and the next stitch you will make, since you turned, will be the last stitch of the rectangle , therefore the last stitch you made (not counting the turning chain).

I hope I described that so it makes sense?

Just to clarify, my describing the first round as a border was meant to help you visualize that first round going around the rows of the pouch's bottom - it's not really a border, it is the first round of what will become the sides of the pouch as you keep going around and around.