Mirror image of a pattern

Newbie 001

Question

6 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville.  I need a little more info, what sort of pattern?  Is there a link on the 'net that you can link to the pattern, or what the end item is supposed to look like?

What comes to mind is something like colorwork or lace, where stripes or stitches might be a scheme something like: a b c d e f e d c b a, where the letters on 1 side of the center f are the same as the other but in reverse (mirror) order.

Hi, it’s for the top part of a dress. The written pattern is as follows:

1st row- ch3, dc1 into same ch, dc to end + RC 2

2nd row - h4ch, dc to last 3 chs, dec2 chs +RC2

3rd row - h4ch, dec1, dc to last 2 chs, sk1, dc1 + RC2

Alternate the 2nd and 3rd rows.

Work the second front part like a mirror reflection to the first one.

I am having difficulty interpreting the mirror reflection part. 
Thank you for your assistance.

Hello again, Your pattern is not conventionally written and is unclear to me (I've been crocheting for decades, using antique, vintage and modern patterns). 

Does the pattern define "RC"?  "H"? (as in H4ch)  I can't even guess.  Hmm, I wonder if this was a translation that was a bit botched, example 'Haekel' means crochet in German, which might account for the H.

However, from what you have given me I still think my idea of 'mirror' is right.  Here is an awful sketch of the top part of a garment with an open front showing  the mirror concept I was trying to describe, using colored stripes in the front body area, where the stripes are mirrored.   (edit, if this helps with visualizing 'mirrored', I was lazy; I drew 1 side of this, then 'copied' it, flipped the copy over, and dragged the copied side to 'attach' it to the original side.  Just in case thinking of the order of the pattern as 'flipped' versus 'mirrored' helps.

Mirrored Stripes.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

Hi, thank you for your help. I now understand what mirror image is. 
However, I can’t seem to be able to transpose the pattern. Can you help me please?

This is the dress that I am trying to crochet. I have completed the skirt and the left part of the front.

To answer your questions:

The “RC2” are the turning chains.

The “h4ch” is doing a dc in the 4th ch from the hook.

40149CB4-820D-4C96-AF74-13E132E746C8.jpeg

528DFEBC-FA13-491B-98FC-FD7A1B8B16BC.jpeg

Thanks for the additional info, pretty dress!  However, these instructions are poorly written or imprecisely translated.  

To orient myself: you have quoted the pattern part that starts at the underbust; you have finished the part that started at the underbust and have worked down to the hem.  Now you will be starting from the original chain again but in the opposite direction (toward the shoulders) to work the bra.  

After step 6 you should have 148 DC stitches, not chains.  It continues to refer to DCs as chains through all the rounds of step 7.  H4ch (DC in 4th ch from hook) doesn't make sense anywhere but the initial chain - normally to turn a row of DCs you chain 3, skip the first DC, and DC into the following DC - which would be the 5th STITCH from the hook.  If you don't, you will increase a stitch every row.  (I am nit-picking, is probably a translation thing).

Step 6 makes sense-- 5 rounds of DC after the lacy midsection, which would be the underbust area, and the bottom of the armhole opening and also the bottom of the neckline.  I would think there should have been a few increases for the bust, but OK.

Step 7- this is where you will work the part that will be 'mirrored' - you are working the 'triangle' part of 1 bust-top area.  The 'mirror reflection is the other bust-top triangle -  the 'mirror' is--the armhole shaping should be at the armhole side of the dress, and the mid-chest area should be in the mid-chest area of the dress, which for the second triangle will be on opposite sides of the first triangle.

Dividing the 148 stitches into 4 sections (37 sts each) will be=25% one bra cup, 25% the other bra cup, 50% back of the dress.

Edited by Granny Square