Crochet Blanket beginning to Bow

Eleanor23

Question

Hi Everyone, 

I am making a blanket (going round and round if that makes sense) and it seems like it is beginning to bow and when measuring the blanket one side is slightly smaller and I can't figure out why.

Do I need to frog this or continue and hope it evens out?

16275888340036734580682692945789.jpg

2 answers to this question

Hi!  In spite of my 'name' I'm not an expert on Granny Squares, but I'm seeing an odd thing - on the left side, right where your light pink stops, there is a chain in the prior round that seems to be longer than it is supposed to be.  

Your variegated yarn makes the rounds a little hard to 'read', but I think the rest of it is right except 2 adjacent dark pink granny 'shells' (3 DCs in 1 spot) directly toward the center of where the yarn end is looks like 2 stitches not 3 if I'm not mistaken (see the blue arrow below--I should have drawn it to include the granny shell below the one it is pointing at, that also looks like 2 not 3 stitches); the blue square was to keep track of the round).  (edited - I went back and made a green arrow pointing to a granny shell that looked like 2 stitches not 3, and it is in a different row)

Granny squares and other things in the round have geometry rules that have to be followed, and the way different people make stitches don't always get along.  For example, the 'recipe' for a granny square is 3 DC into 1 spot, chain x, and repeat (except the corners).  There is no ideal "x", it needs to be a different number for different people because of their stitch height gauge to keep if from ruffling or cupping.  (It's been a long time since I made one, I make sort of short stitches and can't remember if 1 or zero chains works best for me, aside from the corners)

Also some people will tend to get biasing, the granny square will start to look like a 'granny swirl', I'm not sure if the wavy look of your bottom edge is headed in that direction.  The way to stop the swirl look is to turn every row, so each even # row cancels the bias of the odd# row before it.  This has the added benefit of making the square reversible, there is no good and bad side.  I will try to find an example of a biased granny so you know what I mean.

Edited to add a confession: I am really, really not a fan of variegated yarn; IMO it usually disappoints rather than enhances.  I totally understand this is not everyone's opinion, and your colors are very pretty together, but it think the color changes in strange places is going to make it difficult to NOT make mistakes and lose your place.  Your photo is only 7 rounds and I had to draw a line to figure out which stitches belonged to which round I was pointing at.

granny square.jpg

Edited by Granny Square