Graduation hood pattern?

bethanyhwhite

Question

My sister's graduation has been confirmed as online this year and I'd love to crochet her a graduation hood to surprise her for her virtual ceremony and celebrations. Any ideas for where I could find a pattern? The textile patterns for the hoods look confusing, it only needs to be simple as I'm a beginner! Recommendations for yarns/hook size would be appreciated too :) thanks!

3 answers to this question

Now I wonder where my hood and tassel are...do you know what color(s) for her honors level it should be?  Our schools' hood was associated with an organization of the state I was in, and not everyone was eligible for a hood, and there was only 1 style and color (gold satin); actually if she is eligible for a hood I'd think she (or you?) would be able to send for a real hood and probably tassel too.

As I remember mine,  if you were to disconnect it at the narrow end it was just a really wide "V" which was thicker at the bottom of the V and narrowed considerably at the top of the V--sort of like this , not sure of the dimension of this one but mine was really long.  As I look online, there seem to be all sorts of shapes out there, do you know what shape and size hers should have been, and did you find a pattern for that shape?  If so we can try to describe how to crochet it; if I described how to make mine it may not resemble the one she'd have gotten.

Edit, OK I did not graduate from Oxford, but this is the back side of what mine looked like - scroll down past the top photo to second one, to the photo of the man and woman; their robes appear to have a real black hood (or something), but my high school hood would have looked like only the narrow colored part from the back - the front would have been more or less an upside down pyramid across the chest with a v-neck cut out of it, if that makes sense.  (now you see what I mean that the hood was really long, I thought the back looked silly) 

If your sister's hood looks like what I'm describing, it would be easy to crochet, like a very short solid triangle shawl started at the bottom, worked up until it was about 12" or so, then just worked up one side with a widening V neck separation in the middle until it was about the length it looks to be from that photo, then reattaching the yarn to do the same with the other side, and sew the 2 narrow ends together.  

Edited by Granny Square

Thanks for your help! This is the one she would've been getting, though I can't find a pattern - that image you shared is about as much as I could find too! Fig 1 here seems to be the flat shape of it, if I can do two of those and connect together. I found a satin yarn in the Hobbii sale which would do the trick for the colours :)

On the first image I shared, the side view didn't make any sense to me, I assumed the V-shaped 'inside back' was the shape of the whole thing, in which case it sort of looked like my 'hood' which was really more of a collar, not a functional hood.

Sorry, I'm no help.