Help! Bean stitch too tight?!

DAislandR

Question

So, I started to learn to bean stitch this morning but I've hit a snag. Once I get my 6th loop, everything is too tight in the middle (like loop 3&4) to pull through all loops. I've tried to keep it as loose as possible but it just keeps snagging halfway through. 

P.S. Im using Red Heart worsted with a 5.5mm hook. 

3 answers to this question

Are you using a boye type hook where the neck is the skinniest part?  that could make the stitches too tight.

More commonly, I'd guess when you are doing the draw up a loop and the yarn overs, you need to pull the hook a distance away from the main part to keep it loose.  I'm looking at this person's video and around the 30 seconds in, you can see she pulls the yarn away from the rest about an 1/4 inch. 

Whereas if you're doing all SC's, the draw up a loop is kept quite close to your work.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaryPat said:

Are you using a boye type hook where the neck is the skinniest part?  that could make the stitches too tight.

More commonly, I'd guess when you are doing the draw up a loop and the yarn overs, you need to pull the hook a distance away from the main part to keep it loose.  I'm looking at this person's video and around the 30 seconds in, you can see she pulls the yarn away from the rest about an 1/4 inch. 

Whereas if you're doing all SC's, the draw up a loop is kept quite close to your work.

I'm using the Susan Bates aluminum hooks. They do get skinny at the neck it appears. I'll check out this video. Thank you Mary!!

Ok, I just watched. The hook I'm using leaves me no room. Has a very short shaft. Hers has room to slide it up and pull smoothly. 

Edited by DAislandR

Naztazia is using a Boye hook, but she is pulling the stitch WAY past the point where she needs to - nothing wrong with that, but to get the stitch formed properly you just have to get it beyond the throat to the shaft--so if your hook has a short throat, that means it should be EASIER to do (shorter distance to the shaft) - the shaft doesn't get wider and wider the further up you go on a Bates or Boyehook.

I totally get it, when I was a new crocheter I kept my stitches right at the throat and my stitches were super tight; I figured this out on my own way before the internet, and managed to re-train myself to pull my stitches up the shaft where they should be - it just takes some focus to break an old habit and form a new one.  

Or maybe think of it another way, focus on pulling the loop up higher above the fabric after you pull the loop thru the stitch.  Yes, this takes practice too.  This might be an interesting read : https://dorischancrochet.com/2009/01/05/confessions-of-a-lifter/

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1