Hat Help Please :)

Charna

Question

Happy holidays everyone. I am making a watch cap for my hubbie, and it's shaped more like a beret (see photos). 

I wrote to the pattern designer - she had made a mistake which she acknowledged to me - which was to not include the double crochet at the beginning of row 1 as one stitch. So I assumed this was true for all the rows.  I counted the # of stitches for every row. And I think my gauge is correct. I'm using the yarn (Cascade 220) and the hook size (5 mm) she recommended. Although  my yarn looks much thinner than hers in the photos.

She writes: 
Your last (crown increasing) photos looks correct, from there the hat should begin to ease into a straight-side shape, as this photo attached.

Do double check your gauge and see if that may be the issue, I don’t think it appears to be as the stitches look consistent all the way.

Have you checked your stitch count? I think this is the most probable issue, you may have lost a few stitches, at the join perhaps. I too often skip the ending stitch...
The beret shape is usually caused by loosing stitches along the way, making  the width thinner.

I did use cascade 220, the newer skeins aren’t as fluffy as skeins a few years back…

Any thoughts? Thanks, Charna

2 answers to this question

Pretty much like the designer said.  Its your gauge or you are loosing stitches.  You could be crocheting tighter.  It happens to me the faster I crochet or if I accidentally grab the wrong hook.  At this point in the hat you should have the same stitch count in every round.  It is very important to count, count , count.  If your stitch count for every round is correct you can try going up to a hook size that matches your earlier gauge.