Aunt Jens crochet baby sweater

k8di

Question

Hi People, This is my first go at crochet clothes - granny squares and corner to corner blankets I can do, but I am struggling with Aunt Jens crochet seater, Row 10 and the skip 24 stitches. I googled skipping stitches, as you do, and one tutorial said create a chain, in this case it would be 24 stitches long, and another said just drag the yarn over the skipped stitches and thus create a hole.
Clearly it makes a difference, when you get to row 11; how many stitches should there be in row11?
If anyone could help it would be much appreciated

thanks

kate

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  This pattern?

This sort of construction is really common in baby clothes, and is also really easy - except the very first time you do it, it's somewhat mind-bending.  Then all of a sudden, presto change-o, the flat thing you've been working on magically folds over and looks like a bodice.

You have a sort of split square right now, with 4 corners that you've been increasing at.  The center of the split square is the neckline, and you are working the shoulders and bodice.

Your tutorial probably assumed that when you skip stitches, that sometimes you will be traversing those skipped stitches with a chain but that is not always the case--like in this pattern.

You aren't going to traverse those skipped stitches at all, in fact - without even looking at the pattern direction, I can tell by the construction those skipped stitches will form the armhole.  Skipping those stitches will create a giant opening, and cause the piece to fold over at the shoulder.  You will skip stitches again after crossing (presumably the back, since the front is open), to create the other armhole.  The rows after this will change to the lace pattern to form the body, then you'll break the yarn and re-attach at each armhole and work around the armhole hole to make each sleeve.

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

Crude sketch - top showing before you've skipped x stitches to form the armholes, bottom showing the piece after it folds itself to form the armholes.  The green arrows point to the armhole gap the skipped stitches create, when you skip them by bringing those 2 end points together they will also create the green 'fold' at the shoulders.

Edited to add - red lines are where you are increasing each round, and to say this is a raglan sleeve construction

Raglan Top construction.jpg

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1