Peaks and valleys in chevron patterns.

gemlovesjasper

Question

I am using the Caron Simply Soft yarn for the SC Chevron Stitch. Everything is lining up fine, but the spaces for the valleys and peaks look so big. It's only sk 2 for the valleys and SC 3 x in one stitch for the peak. I have used a H and G Hook but there is not much difference. What does everyone else do for those sections in a chevron pattern? I want them to look nice and they look messy now. 

1 answer to this question

The valleys are decreasing by 2, and the peaks are increasing by 2, so that's the way they should be (they must be equal numbers, and most patterns I've seen  the number is usually 2 or 3, so that's not out of the ordinary.)

Can you post a photo?  I can see skipping 2 for the valley might leave a little hole, but I can't see 3 stitches crammed into 1 at the peak being likely to leave a hole.  For the valley, an alternative less likely to leave a gap would be 3 stitches into 1 (sc 3 together).  Or, focus on keeping  your finger on the thread on the hook when you skip 2 stitches to reach to the third stitch - sometimes that loop might tend to loosen up when you stretch between skipped stitches.  But if you think about it, skipping stitches has to leave a little gap - I'd consider it a design feature as long as it was consistent, a little bit of 'lace' running up the columns of the blanket.  Actually I think I've seen chevron patterns where they do that on purpose, skip x stiches at the bottom but instead of x sc together at the top, chain x.

edited to add a free pattern example that makes a gap on purpose https://www.yarnspirations.com/bernat-simple-chevron-baby-blanket/BRC0202-009696M.html  Found another one, makes a 'peephole' at peak and valley https://www.sigonimacaroni.com/easy-peephole-chevron-crochet-blanket/ (the second one isn't free)

Edited by Granny Square