Llama Baby Slippers - Crochet Magazine Summer 2019

Ita Ang

Question

I have been trying to figure out this pattern for the Llama Baby slippers in the Crochet Magazine [Summer 2019]

I believe that I followed all of the pattern correctly, double-checking stitch counts after each row.

The top (opening) looks too big. I am working on the 1-2 year old size. In Rnd 9 it says that I should have 35 sts and then a few more rows to complete.I feel like I should pinch the front before I attach the face. Won’t the baby’s feet slip out while walking in these?

Use a draw string at the top?

Also, the applique’s: just attach them with a tapestry or yarn needle? No placement diagram.

Has anybody made these? Help!

Angela

CBF03B74-5187-468D-8AA4-926CF2C87728.jpeg

95C52BCE-EC52-4F52-A70A-6EE161956B14.jpeg

13CE90AC-C500-40D4-B96A-9D5699C48CBC.jpeg

723162D6-70BE-4DD6-896C-9844CAA50710.jpeg

6 answers to this question

I'm not a mom, I just looked up when babies typically start to walk and Google tells me 18 months, so I wouldn't worry about that--I'm sure these are for smaller kids.  (edit, just realized you said 1-2 year old size, never mind).

I agree the foot opening on your slippers does look really large, and also much larger in proportion to the foot than the photo -  I also looked at a project on Ravelry with a photo and the foot hole was not as big compared to the total shoe as yours was. 

I agree a chained 'tie' threaded between the stitches at the top would probably be a good idea.  Another thought, since this is such a little thing - maybe try to find another bootie pattern and llama-fy it with the embroidered face?

I looked for errata, there is some for that pattern but seems to be only revising the yarn information (it's over 2 pages, 1 for the blanket and 1 for the slippers)

Edited by Granny Square

Thanks. I brought this slipper to church this morning to show the “girls”. They agreed with you, the opening is too large.

I am making this for my granddaughter who will be 1 year old in January. She is just starting to pull herself up and will begin walking soon, I am sure.

I think that I will decrease Rnd 10 by 6 sts and Rnd 11 by 6 sts, so my opening on top will be 23 stitches instead of 35 sts.

Has anyone else made this pattern?

Angela

So, I finally finished the slippers. I needed to decrease Rnd 10 to 29 sts and Rnd 11 to 26 sts to get a smaller opening for the 1-2 years old size.

I also added leather to the bottoms to prevent slipping. Not sure if I will add the tassels.

8A581CBF-47CC-4605-AB9A-EA5994324251.jpeg

A11EAE4B-DB9F-4698-9C20-CFB4A78C4C77.jpeg

I made those slippers for a baby, so I did not worry about the top.  I do believe they are suppose to flare at the top.

They turned out cute and I love what you did with the bottom.

I know who every you give it to will love it.  Mine went over big at the shower.

Edited by Tampa Doll